Ven pongal is a popular south Indian breakfast recipe and a definite item in the menu for any Pongal celebration in South India.
Learn how to make Ven Pongal by following this simple receipe. Pongal is made with raw rice, moong dal and seasoned with ginger, peppercorns, cumin seeds and cashewnuts. You can serve Ven Pongal with sambar and chutney or with Eggplant / Kathirikai gotsu(my amma and patti mostly used to do). My hubby was asking me to prepare venpongal and gotsu for breakfast. So here comes the receipe.
Ven Pongal recipe :-
•Raw rice - 1 cup
•Moong dal - 1/4 cup
•Grated ginger - 1 teaspoon
•Black peppercorns - 1 teaspoon
•Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
•Ghee - 3 tablespoons
•Bunch of curry leaves for seasoning
•Roasted cashewnuts - 12
•Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
•Water - 6 cups
•Salt to taste
How to make ven pongal:-
1. Wash rice and moong dal and rinse completely. Cook the rice and moong dal with 6 cups of water and salt in the pressure cooker for upto 6 whistles.
2. Transfer the cooked rice into a serving bowl. Heat ghee in a small pan, add peppercorns, cumin seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves and cashewnuts.
3.Pour this into cooked rice and mix well. Serve ven pongal with sambar and chutney.
Tips: You can also cook ven pongal by using pan or rice cooker
Eggplant Gotsu or Kathirikai Gotsu:-
1. 1 medium eggplant diced
2. 1 tomato diced
3. 1 tsp mustard seeds
4. 1 tsp channa daal
5. 2 dried red chillies
6. a pinch of asafetida, 1 tbsp minced ginger, 1 medium green chili minced, 1 cup of tamarind juice (use a 1" ball of tamarind to extract the juice from), 1/2 tsp turmeric, salt, a little water
1. Splutter the mustard seeds in 2 tbsp of oil. Add the channa daal, asafetida, red chillies, and curry leaves and let the channa daal turn golden.
2. Add the ginger, green chilli, and turmeric.
3. Add the tomato and fry it a little. Add the eggplant.
4. Add the tamarind juice, and barely cover the eggplant with water. Add salt.
5. Let this simmer until it thickens.
Serve hot with ven pongal.